Sunday, November 17, 2013

Response to Monica's


I agree with you in the fact that these two chapters helped; yet the book is still frustrating. I have become aware of the similarities you and I both have when it comes to the ideas of the narrator and Phaedrus. I think there is a parallel and in a way they both describe the way in which the reader feels throughout the novel. I understand the fact that he fanatically teaches because he has doubt, but I would not say it was hope. This may be the case with both the institutions of the university and the church, but I do not believe Phaedrus contains hope for the students he sympathizes with. He is teaching them something h does not fully understand and agree with. This lack has led him to try to fanatically teach. I agree with you also on the fact that the author may never gave us a clear reason, but that will really frustrate me. I would really like to know what the point of this book is. Other than philosophy and the adventures (which are not really adventurous) that John, Sylvia, Chris and the narrator go through. The amounts of confusion that can be found in this book are endless. I still do not know why he has fragments of memories if they are not the same person. The narrator is unsure and is trying to find it for himself more about Phaedrus, so I do not understand how they are related. I do not believe they are the same person, but I no longer think it is a ghost haunting him either.

No comments:

Post a Comment