I have chosen the topic of technology for my term paper. I
think that technology is a recurring topic throughout the entire book, so there
will be sufficient support for my ideas. The narrator gives many different
examples about how technology is perceived, whether it be good or bad
perceptions. There are certain aspects in technology itself that are thought to
be bad, while there are also positives.
I plan on using the characters’ different opinions regarding
technology, in addition to its practical application in the real world. Also, I
am going to explain technology’s presence in the book as a whole, which will be
separate from the specific opinions that each character holds. Lastly, I want
to find out a little bit more about how technology was present during the time
the author wrote the book, as well as the time period that the story takes
place in. I think that intertwining the story’s emphasis on technology with its
historical and modern application will prove to be more beneficial than to
simply focus on the book as a whole. Therefore, two of my main points in the
paper will focus primarily on the novel itself with specific events and quotes
as supports, while the other two ideas will center around practical application
in both history and modern day.
i.
The manner in which technology is presented to
the reader from the book as a whole
ii.
The different opinions regarding technology as
presented by the narrator and John/Sylvia
iii.
How technology was used and perceived during the
time period and location in which the story was written by Pirsig
iv.
How technology demonstrates its positives and negatives
in modern society
Thesis: Technology is one of the central topics in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,
which focuses greatly on highlighting both the positive and negative attributes
that it has to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment