Sunday, September 22, 2013

Yes, Zane, I'm Starting to Like it Now

In my previous blog post I vented my frustrations about how tedious of a read this book is. Do not get me wrong, I still think the narrator is self-absorbed (in the literal sense of the  word), but I can respect it now. I realized that although his train of thought made the narrative seem to stop and go at random moments, he only begins to ramble when he is on the motorcycle- he stops when he has to acknowledge an external interruption.
I also still think the majority of his topics are bland. I have already contemplated them or predicted them; in short, I am learning nothing new. When I read his philosophies, I can lightly nod in agreement, but I am not impressed or stricken with awe.
So how is it that I am beginning to like the novel now? Well, I found particular resonance with a point he makes in this chapter, to quote him directly: "... instead of just dwelling on what is killed, it's important also to see what's created and to see the process as a kind of death-birth continuity that is neither good nor bad, but just is."
I have an issue when it comes to extremes. I am a believer of balance and the mixture of all things, both good and evil, and I apply that philosophy to everything. I appreciate that the narrator has the same outlook. Because of my love for science, I believe the laws of conservation apply for everything in life, including mortality itself. As the narrator opines, when something is killed, something else is created, and I agree that people find tranquility when they realize this and accept it to be true.
Sure, the plot still is not picking up for me, but I was happy to find a way to connect with the novel personally. It's an open opportunity for a beautiful relationship- but not a sure one.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Melanie's idea that the vast majority of the narrator's ideas are rather bland, up until a few points in this chapter, I believe. Normally, he simply goes into great detail about his thoughts and it seems almost as though we are just hearing his thought process rather than what is actually happening to him in real life. As Melanie said, the narrator does stop and acknowledge others when he is interacting with the outside world, but he oftentimes continues to express his thoughts. For example, the narrator carefully explained how he was feeling about the heat and how he expected John and Sylvia to react to it; however, his thoughts do not end right after he stops riding the motorcycle. He is detailed in expressing his opinion even to those who do not seem interested. While he may not be rambling anymore, he still maintains a focus on the same ideas. Of course, many of his ideas do not contain much depth, but I actually somewhat enjoy reading them. I feel that I can relate to him, or rather those around him, when he speaks. I have been in situations with people who tend to ramble, and I can closely relate to John and Sylvia sometimes losing interest.

    ReplyDelete