I
must start by saying that my feelings about this novel continue to flip flop
drastically as I read it. There are certain instances when I really enjoy the
novel because everything it is discussing makes complete sense, it rational.
However, at other times the repetition bothers me to no extent. Thankfully this
week’s reading was on the pleasant side of the spectrum. Now this may just be because
at the time I was reading I was also listening to the Miami symphony orchestra
play music from classic movies that just gave the book a more adventurous tone,
however I think there may be more to it. I really agreed with what was revealed
in the novel this week about schooling and grades. Grades, as external
motivators, do take away from the purity of wanting to learn. They cause people
to go to extremes such as cheating or writing something that they do not
believe in because good grades can seem to define their lives. I especially was
interested by the narrator’s discussion on originality, or the lack of thereof
in a classic schooling system. This can be especially prevalent in literature
or history classes where students feel the need to simply paraphrase their teacher’s
words because they fear a bad grade if they do not. This brings about a
generation of students who are experts at repetition but have no skill when it
comes to original thought.
Though
I agree with that I fear that there is no useful solution. As with the example
given in the novel, a school with no grades brings about students who don’t work
because the motivation that has driven them for so long is no longer there. Yes,
in the example the boy eventually goes back to school, now with his own desire
for education driving him, however I believe that that is unlikely. There is a
reason that degrees and certain grades are a prerequisite for certain jobs, and
this reason is that deep down we are all a bit lazy, and if we are not required
to do something we cannot be trusted to do it. At times I believe that Phaedrus
and the narrator are a bit to optimistic, which is saying a lot given that I generally
believe myself to be an optimistic person, and that the way some things in the
world are, are the best way they can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment