Sunday, February 9, 2014

Getting "Unstuck"

I found the chapter 24 very interesting in the idea of stuckness, and I will implement the techniques discussed to try and write this without spending 30 minutes looking at the screen before hand. The idea is to focus on one idea at a time, what ever it is you would like to put down on paper, and allowing that to take you where you need to go. The primary issue that causes stuckness is the mentality that there is much to do, it is overwhelming. When you look at a task as a whole it can seem intimidating, nearly impossible to do. The solution discussed in the novel is simply picking one action, whatever it may be, that will help you finish this task and focus on it. While focusing on it you leave your mind open to inspiration on what you must do next and once that inspiration hits, you can move on to the rest of the task. It is expressed in the example of the screw, in which one is unable to fix the bike until they stop focusing on the bike and allow themselves to focus on other things. This is once again expressed with Chris when he cannot seem to figure out what to write to his mother. The method to fix this was simply to write down a list of all that he wanted to write, then decide the order to write it in. This is a method I could see begin extremely helpful in my writing. What seems to be a constant struggle I have in writing essays is that halfway through writing my essay I am often times hit with a realization that make complete and utter sense, and perfectly proves my point, however by that point it is too late and I am to far into the essay to integrate it into the essay. The reason that I get these realizations halfway through the essay is because that is the point where I had become "unstuck". Halfway through and essay I reach a point where I am finally comfortable in what I am writing and the worry of what to write has left me. Because that worry, which is the ultimate cause of the stuckness I feel when beginning an essay, is gone my mind is open to inspiration, which frustratingly comes when I least need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment